Tuesday, April 21, 2009

From Bill Endicott

One of the most amazing things about Jerry was that he truly loved covering the Legislature and managed to do it with grace, style and toughness, while still staying friends with many legislators. Quite an achievement and almost impossible to believe in this day of adversarial and sometimes bitter relationships between politicians and reporters. When I first knew Jerry as a colleague in The Times’ Sacramento Bureau, I thought he surely must be a Notre Dame graduate, he was such a fan of the Fighting Irish. I was surprised to find out he was not, but it pleased me no end to be able to tell him recently that my son had taken a buyout at The Bee and moved to South Bend and was working in the music department at Notre Dame. Jerry’s first question was to ask if he got season football tickets as a perk of the job. He was one of a kind and will truly be missed.

-- Bill Endicott

No comments:

Post a Comment