Thursday, April 16, 2009

From Bill Packer

I don't know if this is obit or email worthy, but my memory of Jerry began in 1977. We had a mutual friend, the late Walt Secor (a veteran Los Angeles Times City Hall reporter), who took me under his wing when I was just starting out and I think he did the same for Jerry when he worked in LA for Copley. After I told Walt I was opening a Sacramento bureau for the Daily News, he told me Jerry Gillam was the first person I should introduce myself to. Walt was right. Jerry was great in every way, just as his many friends have written over the past few days. But to me, he was special and I will never foreget and will always appreciate how comforting it was in those early days in Sacramento being under his wing.
-- Bill Packer

No comments:

Post a Comment