Friday, April 17, 2009

From Doug Willis

For a half-dozen or so years, Jerry was president and I was vice president of the Capitol Correspondents Association. Since capitol reporters loathed Association meetings, just about everything the Association did was delegated to a committe of two, Jerry and me.

Whether it was protesting a closed meeting, considering the credentials application of a dubious "reporter" or anything else, Jerry and I almost always disagreed. But I can't remember ever getting mad at each other. Jerry was too likeable and friendly for that to ever happen. Furthermore, it was really just an elaborate game. Whoever spoke first expected the other to disagree, and we always reached a friendly agreement.

I will miss Jerry's fun approach to life. The Capitol never had enough people in it who really enjoyed life. Sadly it now has one fewer.

-- Doug Willis

No comments:

Post a Comment